William J.H. Hough (1888-1969), B.Arch. 1911, M.Arch. 1913
As a young architect he worked for Philadelphia architects Cope & Stewardson (1908-1909), Frank Miles Day (1912), John T. Windrim (1913-1914), before winning the Rome Prize which allowed him to study at the American Academy in Rome from 1914 to 1917.During the first World War, Hough worked with the Red Cross in Italy.
After returning from Europe in 1919, Hough joined first the firm of Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, and then the office of Paul Cret, becoming one of Cret’s partner in 1923. After Cret’s death in 1945, the firm continued as Harbeson, Hough, Livingston, Larson, now known as H2L2. During his career he worked on such projects as the Walt Whitman, Benjamin Franklin and Henry Avenue bridges in Philadelphia.
Hough also taught architecture at Penn, seving for a time as chair of the department. He was also a member and fellow of the American Institute of Architects.