Franklin Spencer Roach and Hannah Benner Roach were both well known professionally in the architectural, historical and cultural circles of Philadelphia.
Their collection, donated to the University Archives in 1978, dates from 1925 through 1977. It contains 522 items designed by 73 individuals. Many of these cards were designed and sent by fellow alumni of the University of Pennsylvania’s architectural program. Each card, a small piece of artwork in its own right, highlights the whimsical and graphic illustration styles of the architect outside of the drafting studio.
This exhibit is made up of selected holiday cards created by the Roaches and thirteen fellow architects, along with short biographical sketches and photographs of the architects. The exhibit was created in 1999 by Martin J. Hackett, Public Services Archivist.