Penn History

Penn Campuses Before 1900

Penn’s Second Campus, 1801-1829: "President's House" at Ninth and Market Streets

The University occupied the “President’s House” at Ninth and Market Streets, Philadelphia, from 1801 until 1829. The President’s House was built 1790 as the intended residence for the U.S. President, renovated as the University of Pennsylvania, and finally demolished in 1829 in preparation for the erection of two new University buildings on the same site.

President's House, Penn's campus from 1801-1829, at Ninth and Market Streets
View one
Facade of “President’s House,” viewed from the northeast, by W. Birch & Son, 1800
View east from 10th and Market Streets, with Dunlap House on south side of Market (at right) and rear of Ninth Street Campus under trees at center, 1807.
View two
Looking east from 10th and Market Streets, with Dunlap House on south side of Market (at right) and rear of “President’s House” (Ninth Street Campus) under trees at center before 1806-1807
President's House," viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view), c. 1810
View three
“President’s House,” viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view). Drawing by Armstrong, engraved by Kneass, Young and Company
"President's House," viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view), c. 1815
View four
“President’s House,” viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view). Engraved by Kneass, Young and Company.
"President's House," viewed from the southeast (after the 1817 addition of the cupola to the Medical Department wing), after a watercolor by William Strickland, c. 1820
View five
“President’s House,” viewed from the southeast (after the 1817 addition of the cupola to the Medical Department wing), after a watercolor by William Strickland
St. Stephen's Church, Tenth Street., showing the rear of the "President's House." The small residences at rear of church may have been used as anatomical laboratories.
View six
St. Stephen’s Church, Tenth Street, showing the rear of the “President’s House.” The small residences at rear of church may have been used as anatomical laboratories