Penn History

Penn Campuses Before 1900

Penn’s Second Campus, 1829-1871: Twin Buildings at Ninth and Market Streets

In 1829 Penn demolished the President’s House on the Ninth Street campus and replaced it with twin marble-trimmed brick buildings designed in the Georgian style by William Strickland. The College and the Faculty of Medicine had separate buildings, identical in facade, but arranged internally for each department’s specific needs.

Ninth Street campus of the University of Pennsylvania, Medical Hall and College Hall, 1830 watercolor
View one
Early sketch showing Medical Department at left and Collegiate Department at right, with St. Stephen’s Church in the background
Ninth Street campus of the University of Pennsylvania, Medical Hall and College Hall
View two
December 1830 engraving
Penn's campus from 1829-1871, at Ninth and Market Streets
View three
J.T. Bowen color print, 1842
Ninth Street campus of the University of Pennsylvania, Medical Hall and College Hall, c. 1850
View four
Photograph, mid-nineteenth century
Medical Hall on Ninth Street campus, 1872
View five
Medical Hall, 1872 photograph by Newell
College Hall, Ninth Street, 1870
View six
College Hall, 1870 photograph
Illustration showing classroom in University of Pennsylvania's Medical Hall, 1845
View seven
Classroom interior from the cover of the 1845 Anatomical Atlas
Medical Hall, Ninth Street, plan of first floor, c. 1876
View floor plans
Floor plans of College Hall and Medical Hall on the Ninth Street Campus, done ca. 1870 by Thomas Webb Richards in preparation for the University’s move to West Philadelphia