- Member of College Class of 1865 (non-graduate)
- Member of Zelosophic Society
Henry James Rowland was born in the Frankford section of Philadelphia on July 5, 1843, to William Rowland and Elizabeth Harvey.
Rowland began College at Princeton University, but left there in 1861 to enroll at Penn as a freshman the College Class of 1865. During his college years, Rowland joined the Zelosophic Society and was an honor student. He left the University at the close of his sophomore year.
Rowland graduated in 1868 from the Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church, Philadelphia. He was ordained as a deacon and became chaplain of the Episcopal Church Home in Angora, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. For a time he was also the assistant rector of St. James’ Church, Philadelphia.
On February 14, 1878, Rowland married Anne Cadwalader, daughter of John Cadwalader, A.B. 1821, A.M. 1824, LL.D. 1870. He died on September 26, 1909, in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. Classmate Rev. George Woolsey Hodge officiated at his funeral held at St. James’ church; John Holbrook Easby, another classmate, was a pallbearer.