Finding Aid

Christian Association Records

UPS 48.1

Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.

Summary Information

Prepared by
Kaiyi Chen
Preparation date
2002
Date [inclusive]
1857-2000
Extent
60.0 Cubic feet

PROVENANCE

Gift donated through Rev. Beverly Dale, Executive Director, in 1990, 1993, and 2001.

Related Materials: Valuable data related to the CA has also been collected in the Information File collection and the Alumni Records collection of the Archives. Also, after the University Settlements were separated from the CA in 1963, the bulk of their records have been donated to the Urban Archives of Temple University. Most of the records of International Student House were transferred to the International House of Philadelphia in 1985.

ARRANGEMENT

The Christian Association Records accessioned in 1990 and 1993 have been organized into the following series: 1. History, Bylaws, Mission Statement, 1897-1988; 2. Board Records, 1857-1990; 3. Committee Records, 1902-1989; 4. Administration, 1898-1990; 5. Programs, 1909-1990; 6. Financial Records, 1893-1990; 7. Affiliated Denominational Groups, 1912-1988; 8. Other Organizations, 1952-1990; 9. Scrapbooks, Cards, & Photographs, 1901-1989; 10. Memorabilia.

The record group accessioned in 2001 has been arranged alphabetically by subject.

HISTORICAL NOTE

In January 1857, a group of Penn students met and formed an organization named the Christian Society of the University of Pennsylvania. The organizers’ intention was to “unite in friendly intercourse and cooperation” all religious men of the university so as to “confirm” their principles “with Christian sympathies and tendencies.” The existing records show that the organization lasted for only a little over two years, but it was undoubtedly the first attempt on campus to advance Christian principles by forming an institution. It took another thirty-odd years before a more formal organization of similar motivation came into being. In 1892, the University of Pennsylvania branch of the intercollegiate Young Men’s Christian Association was founded with John R. Mott as its first director. Six years later, at its annual business meeting in April, 1898, the organization resolved that its relationship with the YMCA of the City of Philadelphia be dissolved. In 1901, it incorporated under the name of the Christian Association of the University of Pennsylvania. The mission of the new institution, as its charter stated, was to promote “spiritual welfare of the students of the University of Pennsylvania by encouraging Christian fellowship and cooperation.”

The history of the Christian Association (hereafter referred to as CA) mirrors the changing values of the American society, as well as the flow and ebb of Protestantism in the country. Traditionally, the institution linked its mission for Christian advancement with such social services as operating settlement houses for the poor; providing summer camps for kids from less fortunate families in the vicinity of the campus; holding various kinds of social activities for women; financing needy students with low-interest loans; and undertaking lofty, though highly selective, foreign missions in underdeveloped countries like China and India. In 1943, as the campus of the University was substantially used as a military reservation and over three thousand students were in uniform, the CA acquired the status of Associated Wartime Agency of the local USO. Besides serving the civilian students, it was now expected to entertain service men as well. Recreational activities such as record dancing and Punch Hour proved to be most successful. The 1960s saw the CA’s interest surge in issues related to global peace, humanitarianism, social justice, as well as services specifically addressed to minorities or such marginalized groups as homosexuals. Although the CA continued to claim in its 1968 bylaws the purpose of “furthering the mission and ministry of the Church within the total University Community,” its emphasis had apparently shifted to enhancing humanism in general.

From its inception, the CA has been affiliated with major denominations of Protestant Christianity: Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, and the United Church of Christ and in the early days, each denomination had a representative on its staff. After 1958, each denomination, while continuing to make token contributions to the CA, began to have its own budget. The CA, however, continued to help manage certain financial matters of the denominational groups, including programs related to funds and foundations in the latter’s charge. Since 1967, the CA, as a Protestant campus ministry, has enjoyed support from the Pennsylvania Commission of the United Ministries in Higher Education. In its early years, the CA relied heavily upon University alumni for financial support. Generous support for the expensive China medical program was an example. The CA’s position on various social and cultural issues in the sixties, however, somewhat distanced many of its “mainline” alumni. The aversion of well-to-do students and alumni to a leftist-tinged image of the organization, coupled with the decrease in the number of active and affiliated Protestant students in the University, greatly weakened the CA’s support base.

Physically, the institution in its earliest days–the University Branch of the city’s Young Men’s Christian Association–was housed right in the middle of campus at 3449 Woodland Avenue. From 1896 to 1922, it shared the newly-built Houston Hall with the student union. Because of the expansion of the operations of the student union, however, the CA moved out of Houston Hall in 1922 and returned to the Woodland Avenue. It remained there until 1928 when the new CA building at 3601 Locust Street was completed. In the sixties, with the creation of Locust Walk, the CA found itself with a building located in the center of campus. The prime location and a reduction in the space needs of the organization enabled the CA to earn a significant income from the leasing of office and restaurant space as well as the rental of the auditorium and meeting places. By the mid 1980s, income from rentals surpassed the total income from endowments, donations from alumni and churches, and other external fundings. Because of financial and other considerations, the Association moved out of 3601 Locust Walk in late July 2000 and settled at 118 South 37th Street in January 2001.

The CA’s hundred-year-plus history can be better understood through a closer look at the spectrum of its diverse programs. Shortly after its incorporation, the CA embarked on its mission along two lines–a commitment to social service and a salient international interest. In 1898, two Penn undergraduates, Josiah C. McCracken (M.D., 1901, and CA president of 1898-1900) and William Remington (B.S., 1900, and CA vice president of the same period), started a Sabbath-afternoon School for a group of boys in the neighborhood in a destitute area east of the Schuylkill River (one source puts it as 611 Schuylkill Avenue, another puts it as 2623 South Street). This attempt turned out to be the forerunner of two major programs of the CA’s social service in future–the settlement houses and summer camps. The CA General Secretary reported in 1899 that a “U.P. Christian Settlement” formally opened on January 1st, 1899, at 2524 South Street, and that the inauguration of the program and the supervision of the work had largely been a credit to Andrew H. Wood (M.D., 1899). As the program grew, the CA moved the University Settlement House to 2601 Lombard Street in 1906. Later on, the settlement house program further expanded, first in 1928, to the Dixon House at 1920 South 20th Street, a property it eventually owned, and then in 1932 and 1945 respectively, to two others which it operated–the Oxmead Farm work camp in Burlington, NJ, and the Western Community House at 1613 South Street (the latter being formerly the Western Soup Society founded in 1837). In the meantime, a summer camp for boys started in 1907, when a property in Greenlane, PA, was donated for that purpose. A similar camp for girls followed in 1925. The camps were required to maintain as close as possible to a 50/50 white/non-white ratio, and had Penn students serve as counselors during the summer. Both programs–the settlement houses and the camps–flourished from the late 1920s through the late 1950s, when Dana G. How was the CA director. In 1963, the camps and settlement houses were separated from the CA and placed under control of the Diversified Community Services (DCS). The DCS, while having a board comprising mainly of CA Board members, was religiously unaffiliated so as to be eligible for funding from the United Way.

The CA’s work on women activities originated with the Young Women’s Christian Association of the University of Pennsylvania, which was formed in 1916. In 1922, the CA established its own women’s division, which was run by the Women’s Advisory Council (WAC), a body consisting of members of the YWCA and the wives of CA alumni. The WAC organized bazaars, crafts fairs, antiques fairs, teas and card parties for the purpose of raising funds for other CA programs. The women’s organization reached its peak in the 1950s and early 1960s, but then declined rapidly, voting to dissolve in 1978.

Like other Ivy League schools, notably Yale and Harvard, Penn was swept by a zeal in missions overseas at the turn of the century. As early as in 1902, the CA Board resolved that for the purpose of making Jesus Christ the Savior known throughout the world, it would support a representative on the foreign mission in China. It appointed Andres H. Woods, who was then secretary to the Christian College, Canton, China, its representative. In 1905, it sent Josiah McCracken to China to study the feasibility of taking over the medical school from the Canton College. Two years later, McCracken left again for China to operate the medical school in Canton, which was then renamed the University Medical School. When the Canton Christian College resumed operational control of the medical school in 1914, the CA transferred its interest to Shanghai, and from 1914 to 1948, McCracken served as Dean of the Shanghai medical school called “The Pennsylvania Medical School being the Medical Department of St. John’s University.” It took nothing less than the approach of a nation-wide Communist takeover to induce McCracken to leave the country. The medical school sponsored by the CA turned out hundreds of Chinese doctors, whose contribution to the development of China’s modern medicine forms an outstanding achievement of the CA comparable to that of a similar project financed by the Rockefeller Foundation –the Peking Union Medical College.

Similar to the McCracken mission, the CA formed in 1938 a committee exclusively for the purpose of supporting the work of Dr. Victor Rambo in India. Prominent members of the CA had paid for Rambo’s medical education, and as a result, he dedicated his life to the elimination of blindness in India through eye surgery. Following the death of Dana G. How, CA director from 1928 to 1958 and a personal friend and strong supporter to Dr. Rambo, aid to this Indian mission soon ceased.

Two more international programs deserve a passing note. One was the International Student House, which was unofficially founded in 1908 when the Rev. A. Waldo Stevenson, with the help of his friend Edward C. Wood, took into his home a group of Chinese students who had had difficulty obtaining safe and decent accommodations in West Philadelphia. In 1918, the CA bought the Potts Mansion at 3905 Spruce Street and used it as the program’s home. While only twelve students could live at the house, it served as a center for hundreds of international students. In 1943, in order to secure funding from the Community Fund of Philadelphia, the International Student House separated from the CA to become the International House of Philadelphia. This program was reportedly the first of its kind in the country and has served as a model for other such institutions around the country. Another international program, the International Hospitality Program, was originally started in 1952 by the United Church Women of the Philadelphia Council of Churches as a host family program for foreign students and their families. It operated a clothing exchange and language classes, sponsored gatherings, and offered cultural training to wives of foreign students. In 1965, it relocated to the CA building, where it received administrative and financial support from the CA. Due to financial constraints of the CA, the program moved to and was taken over by the International House of Philadelphia in 1977.

The CA’s interest in social service burst into a wide variety of cultural and social activities in the 1960s which corresponded to the liberal and civil rights movements in the nation in general. A series of art exhibits began in 1964. It gave new or less known artists opportunities to display their works. A film series started in 1970 and achieved a moderate level of popularity in Philadelphia. The viewings were not secular events as they were often followed by lectures or discussions of their theological, religious and ecumenical ramifications. Two of the more successful film oriented programs developed by the CA, The Neighborhood Film Project and the International Cinema Project, were taken over by the International House and continue to thrive. During the mid 1970s, the Wilma Theater became a resident theater company of the CA until it was financially on stable ground. The Cultural Harvest program started in 1980 as an umbrella program for various artistic endeavors. It supported the Big Small Theater (a Wilma Theater splinter group), the Fresh Fish Poetry series, and the People’s Energy Theater. The Big Small Theater, which enjoyed a moderate level of success and publicity, often tackled political and moral issues from a left-wing perspective.

In addition to its interest in cultural programs, the CA reached out during this period along two more distinctive lines. One was a series of services and activities specifically addressed to homosexuals. A campus ministry to gay students took shape around 1970. By 1974 the CA had formalized its gay ministry. Its more outward support of gays included sponsorship of the Philadelphia Gay Cultural Festival in 1978, formation of Gay and Lesbian Peer Counseling, support of student groups at Penn (Gays at Penn, Lesbians at Penn, etc.) and creation of the Philadelphia Lesbian Gay Task Force (PLGTF) in 1978. The last organization was a support to the legal anti-discrimination efforts of the gay community at Penn and in Philadelphia. Although the CA terminated its relationship with PLGTF in 1983, its support of gay ministry through Gay and Lesbian Peer Counseling and gay student groups continued.

During this same period, the CA expanded its interest in issues, local or global, that were related to the upholding of social justice and humanistic values. Globally, the CA was noted for its opposition to American military intervention overseas. It served as a sanctuary during both the Vietnam War and the period following the passing of the Selective Service Act in the early 1980s. Also in the early 1980s, the CA started sponsoring student groups like the Penn Peace Action Committee and a number of “Peace & Justice” projects, among them the Mobilization For Survival (MOBE) and Stop the Pentagon/Serve the People (STP). The CA also invited the Berrigan brothers, prominent for their advocacy of civil disobedience, for talks against nuclear weapons and gave financial support to such outside groups as Swords into Plowshares. In terms of geographical areas, the CA focused its attention more on two areas, Central and South America and South Africa. It supported such programs and activities as the Central American Solidarity Alliance, the Penn Committee for Divestment (from South Africa), and the Progressive Student Alliance. Throughout the 1980s, the CA organized Central America Week at Penn, a movement based originally on the memorial for Oscar Romero, a missionary priest killed in El Salvador.

Parallel to its interest in issues abroad was the CA’s increased concerns over humanistic problems at home. The CA committed itself to a domestic mission called Project Mississippi in 1965. Participants in the program traveled to Tribbit, Mississippi, to build tent homes and facilities for striking tenant farmers who had been evicted. Outside of the Settlement Houses and foreign missions, this was the last CA program that reached out beyond the immediate University City area. In 1974, the CA organized the Penn Hunger Action Committee and in the early 1980s sponsored the formation of the Penn Committee for the Homeless. The latter grew in time into a cooperative program called the University City Hospitality Coalition, which started feeding local homeless people on a regular basis.

Finally, a brief note on the structure and function of the Board and staff. While the Board of Directors represents the policy making body of the CA, a paid staff is charged with the day-to-day operations. Although the responsibility of the head of the staff has remained more or less the same throughout the hundred-year-long existence of the organization, the position has been known by such titles as Director, Executive Director, General Secretary, Executive Secretary, Co-Director, and Co-Minister. The personalities, backgrounds, and interests of individual directors have left noticeable marks on the tone, style, and inclination of the organization. For the most part the directors have been ordained Protestant clergy of various denominations. A notable exception was Dana G. How, who ran the CA for thirty years. Up to the time of Ken Spillman (1969), the CA Director also served as Secretary of the Board of Directors.

Following is a list of the directors of the CA with their dates of service:

John R. Mott1892-1897

Thomas S. Evans1897-1915

Dr. David S. Hanchett1915-1917

Dr. M. Williard Lampe1918-1920

Edward C. Wood1920

Rev. Charles O. Wright1920-1928

Rev. Ray Freeman Jenney1928

Dana G. How1928-1958

Rev. William R. Knox1958-1965

Rev. Richard Fernandez1965-1966

Rev. William Yolton (acting)1966

Rev. John Russell1966-1968

Rev. Dave Seymour1968

Ken Spillman (acting)1969-1970

Rev. Joel Warren1970-1973

Rev. Joel Warren and Rev. Maurine Doggett (Stephens)1973-1975

Rev. Maurine Doggett1975-1976

Rev. Rev. Maurine Doggett and Ralph Moore 1976-1979

Rev. Ralph Moore1979-1985

Rev. John Scott and Jim McDonald (pro-tem)1976-1980

Rev. Walter Schenck1985-1988

Rev. Florence Gelo (acting)1988-1989

Rev. Beverly Dale1989-present

SCOPE AND CONTENT

1990 and 1993 ACCESSIONS:

The records of the Christian Association reflect the history of a hundred-plus-year-old institution which, with large and diverse investments, strong ties to the Protestant church, and a long and involved relationship with the University, has been engaged in a wide range of programs and activities.

The History, Bylaws, Mission Statement series provides a cursory but comprehensive view of the history of the organization. It includes some historical documents of the early years, bylaws, mission statements, and the CA’s annual reports to the University Chaplain. Also included is information on the administrative structure of the institution.

The Board Records series comprises all formal records of the Board of Directors including minutes, agenda, reports of various kinds, directories, and correspondence of the Board and its members. The minutes of the early years are in book form and include one minute book, 1857-1859, of the institution’s predecessor–the Christian Society of the University of Pennsylvania. The Board minutes contain valuable information about the ideas of the founding members as well as the evolution of the organization’s mission and policies.

The Committee Records series contains records of the Executive Committee as well as records of various standing and ad hoc committees. Major operational committees include Student Cabinet, Camp Committee, China Medical Committee, Development Committee, Finance, Investment, Personnel, Program Committee, Property Committee, Rambo Committee, and Women Advisory Committee. The China Medical Committee file includes a well-preserved set of correspondence, 1912-1928, between Dr. McCracken, the medical missionary in China, and Edward C. Wood, CA Treasurer.

The Administration series is one of the largest series of the collection. The Building subseries contain various kinds of material pertaining to the building at 3601 Locust Walk including tenant and rental arrangements, building reservation schedules, and maintenance and renovation records. Other major subseries are clippings, correspondence from 1932 to 1989, development file, executive director file, donation and fund raising files, International Student House records, and a large staff file including staff reports, meeting minutes, and correspondence. Also included in this series are subject files containing relevant material for staff reference as well as administrative files concerning various organizations with which the CA has been associated.

The records of the various programs and projects undertaken by the CA are in the Program series. Programs run by standing Board committees include settlement houses, summer camps, student loan, and numerous activities sponsored by the Women’s Advisory Committee. Other major subseries are: bisexual, gay and lesbian oriented programs, Art Exhibit, Craft Fair, Cultural Harvest, film programs, Health and Wellness program, homeless oriented program, Peace and Justice Project, restaurants, lectures on Personal Ethics and Public Policy, Project Mississippi, Student Volunteer Center, theological seminars, Wilmot Project, and various worship programs. With the exception of the student loan file, which dates back to the 1920s, there is a noticeable blank in the documentation of programs before 1960s.

The Financial Records series is the largest series of the collection in terms of volume. It includes a fairly complete set of audit reports dating back to 1909, balance sheets (yearly or monthly), budgets, financial statements (annual or monthly), donations, fund and foundation information, investment records, payroll and salary file, tax records, and a large group of oversize ledger books. The ledger books consists of those concerning the institution as a whole and those concerning specific programs. Also included in this series are financial records of the Wesley Foundation, affiliated with the Methodist denomination, and the Westminster Foundation affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.

The Affiliated Denominational Groups series contains records of the six religious denominations that are affiliated with the CA. They are the Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Baptist, and the United Church of the Christ. In terms of church buildings, the series includes material of the Drexel Asbury/Methodist Church (with the Wesley Foundation), the St. Mary Church (with its Hamilton Village Council), the Tabernacle Church (with the Westminster Foundation), the University Lutheran Church, the Baptist Church, and the Church of the Savior.

The Other Organizations series contains the records of hundreds of religious or secular organizations that had established relationships with the CA. One outstanding group of material concerns the Pennsylvania Commission for United Ministries in Higher Education.

The Scrapbook, Cards & Photographs series includes scrapbooks of clippings, an autographed and book entitled A Chapel in Every Home, boxes of contributor data cards and cards for the Bazaar Fair sponsored by the Women’s Advisory Committee, and photographs. The photographs consist of three categories, namely, group pictures, individual pictures and building pictures. Dating back to the beginning of the century, many are of good historical value. Also included in this series are over forty slides made in recent years of the institution.

The Memorabilia series is not very extensive. It consists of over a dozen of rubber stamps from the Camps and Dana G. How’s office.

2001 ACCESSION:

This record group is a continuation to the earlier group of 1857-1990. The bulk of the record group documents the activities and development of the institution under the directorship of Beverly Dale from the late 1980s to the end of the century.

Most of the records are administrative files in the following categories: records of the Board of Directors, minutes and correspondence of various committees and staff meeting records and reports; records related to the use or rental of the building and facilities at 3601 Locust Walk; general financial files–balance sheets, budgets, and statements of income, expenditure audit, investment, and endowment; personnel files; and the file of a legal case from 1985 to 1994 between the Christian Association and the Gold Standard restaurant that rented part of the building space at 3601 Locust Walk.

This record group also includes material of programs sponsored by the Association on a wide range of subjects, among them the black studies, the African American ministry, gay and lesbian peer counseling, etc. Related to these subjects is a group of papers written by the Executive Director Beverly Dale in the form of articles, speeches and sermons.

To support its programs, the Christian Association turned to fund organizations from time to time. Included in this series are a file of the Pennsylvania Commission for the United Ministries in Higher Education and a file of the Pennsylvania Humanities Council, which documents grant application and budget matters between the Association and the two organizations.

An extra feature of this record group is some old material of good historical value. There is a file of the Canton Christian College, 1910-1913, focusing on the building and facility cost of a medical mission the Association sent to China at the turn of the twentieth century; a miscellaneous file of Josiah C. McCracken file, 1902-1981; a file of the New Building Fund campaign for the construction of the building at 3601 Locust Walk in the 1920s; and a Episcopal Church file related to the programs the church sponsored in relation to Viet Nam and other college ministry work in the 1960s.

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)
Canton Christian College.
Christian Association (University of Pennsylvania).
International House of Philadelphia.
International Student House of Philadelphia.
Mobilization for Survival.
Pennsylvania. Commission of the United Ministries in Higher Education.
St. John’s Medical School (Shanghai, China).
St. Mary Church (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Tabernacle Church (Philadelphia, Pa.).
United Church of Christ, Evangelical and Reformed (Philadelphia, PA).
University of Pennsylvania.
Young Men’s Christian Association (Philadelphia, Pa.). University Branch (University of Pennsylvania).
Young Women’s Christian Association.
Genre(s)
Annual reports.
Bylaws.
Card indexes.
Clippings.
Correspondence.
Directories.
Ledgers.
Memorabilia.
Minutes.
Photographs.
Scrapbooks.
Occupation(s)
Missionaries, Medical–China.
Personal Name(s)
McCracken, Josiah C., 1874-1962
Mott, John R., (John Raleigh), 1865-1955
Rambo, Victor.
Remington, William Proctor, 1879-1963
Romero, Óscar A., (Óscar Arnulfo), 1917-1980
Subject(s)
African Americans–Civil rights–Mississippi–Tribbit.
Camps–Pennsylvania.
Christian sects–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Gays–Identity.–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia
Homosexuality–Religious aspects.
Medical education–International cooperation.–China–Guangzhou
Medical education–International cooperation.–China–Shanghai
Missions–Central America.
Missions–Interdenominational cooperation.–Asia
Missions–Societies–Asia.
Missions–South Africa.
Missions–South America.
Protestantism.
Service learning–Mississippi–Tribbet.
Service learning–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Social service–Religious aspects–Christianity.
Social service.
Social settlements–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Student aid–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Student loans–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Student movements–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.
Student volunteers in social service.
Students volunteers in social service.
Students–Political activity–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia.

Inventory

 

HISTORY, BYLAWS, MISSION STATEMENT 

Box

Folder

Historical Documents 

History 

Bylaws 

Constitution 

Mission Statement 

 

BOARD RECORDS, 1857-1990 

Box

Folder

Agenda 

Minutes 

Contact lists 

Correspondence 

Directory 

Reports 

 

COMMITTEE RECORDS, 1902-1989 

Box

Folder

Cabinet (Student Cabinet) 

Camp Committee 

China Medical Committee (Josiah C. McCracken) 

Canton Christian College 

Correspondence, McCracken 

Correspondence, miscellaneous 

Development Committee 

Executive Committee 

Agenda 

Minutes 

Correspondence 

Finance Committee 

Minutes 

Correspondence 

Investment Committee 

Minutes 

Personnel Committee 

Minutes 

Correspondence 

Property Committee 

Rambo Committee 

Correspondence 

Women’s Advisory Committee 

Agenda 

Minutes 

Correspondence 

 

ADMINISTRATION, 1898-1990 

Box

Folder

Brochures 

Building 

Clippings 

Colloquy 

Consulting Humanist project 

Correspondence 

Development 

Donation 

Downing, James H. 

Executive Director–Russell, John 

Executive Director–Warren, Joel 

Executive Director–Moore, Ralph 

Correspondence, Dennis Sweeny, 1965 -1971 

10

29

Executive Director–Schenck, Walter 

Executive Director–Dale, Beverly 

Fund raising contact file 

Peters, George B. 

10

82

Petrie, Elizabeth and Donald, 1982 

10

83

Remmell, Pratt, 1980 

10

84

Rhoads, Jonathan, 1982 

10

85

Saul, Ralph, 1982 

10

86

Scott, Isador, 1982 

10

87

Scott, Robert M., 1982 

10

88

Segal, Bernard, 1982 

10

89

Sollenburger, Donald, 1981 

10

90

Speedie, David, 1982 

10

91

Stanger, Wesley A., Jr., 1982 

10

92

Steinbright, Marilyn, 1980 

10

93

Steves, Jennifer, 1982 

10

94

Sweeten, Craig, 1982 

10

95

Tarbox, Frank, 1982 

10

96

Tarzian, Sarkes, 1982 

10

97

Todd, Phelps, 1982 

10

98

Trescher, Robert, 1982-1983 

10

99

Type, David, 1983 

10

100

Ware, John, 1982-1985 

10

101

Ware, Willard, 1982 

10

102

Webber, Ross, 1982 

10

103

Willis, I. Eugene, 1982 

10

104

Yarnall, Carlton, 1982 

10

105

Yarnall, Robert, 1982 

10

106

Younger, Dodie, 1982 

10

107

Zoob, David, 1983 

10

108

Fund raising, Correspondence 

Fund raising file 

Funds and foundations (donation) 

Insurance policy 

International Students House 

Internship 

Evaluation, Peg Wallace, 1975 

11

94

Job descriptions 

Montgomery, Grace S., 1988 

12

29

News clipping 

Pamphlet 

Penn State University 

Personnel policies 

Philadelphia Health Plan 

Plowshares 8 

Press release 

Sanctuary 

Staff file 

Staff meeting minutes and notes 

Staff report 

Stephens, Maurine D., 1973-1975 

13

98

Subject file 

Unification Church 

University of Pennsylvania 

University Chaplain 

Work-study program 

Hooper, Steven, 1988 

14

103

Yolton, L. William, 1966-1967 

14

110

 

PROGRAMS, 1909-1990 

Box

Folder

Art Exhibit 

Big Small Theatre 

Central America Week 

Crafts Fair 

Cultural Harvest 

Film programs 

Four Arrows at Penn 

Fresh Fish 

Gay and lesbian 

GLPC 

Correspondence 

Jeremy Nichol, 1982 

15

103

Lesbians and Gays at Penn 

Philadelphia Gay Cultural Festival 

Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force (PGLTF) 

Health and Wellness Program 

Homeless 

International Hospitality Program of Greater Philadelphia 

Peace and justice projects 

Penn Hunger Action Committee 

Penn Interfaith Council 

Personal Ethics and Public Policy, Lecture series 

Program reports 

Project Mississippi 

Restaurant 

Catacombs 

Eatery 

Retreats 

Schedules, posters, etc. 

Student loan 

Collecting, Van Tine, A.K., 1937-1945 

18

2

Collecting, Yen, H.L., 1930-1941 

18

3

Abdul-magid, Khamis, 1955-1956 

18

13

Abdulah, Clive, 1955 

18

14

Abraham, O.C., 1968-1976 

18

15

Adolf, Aloysus, 1968-1973 

18

16

Ahlers, Jane L., 1935-1943 

18

17

Akintuyi, Edmund, 1971-1973 

18

18

Akpan, Ibanga, 1968-1976 

18

19

Alspach, Mark D., 1940-1945 

18

20

Anderson, Jean, 1929-1945 

18

21

Anderson, Richard C., 1956-1957 

18

22

Anyumba, Elly, 1968-1973 

18

23

Arfaa, Peter, 1956-1966 

18

24

Arowold, Oladele, 1971 

18

25

Badari, V.S., 1971 

18

26

Bailey, David J., 1975-1976 

18

27

Baldwin, Barbara, 1952 

18

28

Baxter, Joseph H., 1971-1976 

18

29

Beach, Allen W., 1959 

18

30

Beckler, Charles W., 1934 

18

31

Bell, Donna, 1966-1976 

18

32

Benito, Carlos A., 1966-1976 

18

33

Berzins. Mirdza, 1953 

18

34

Binagi, Lloyd A., 1967-1973 

18

35

Bishop, John B., 1967-1976 

18

36

Bixby, Jonathan, 1969-1972 

18

37

Blackerby, Robert B., 1966-1976 

18

38

Blay, Kolorah, 1961 

18

39

Boettcher, Kirsten, 1967 

18

40

Bonner, Malcolm, 1971-1978 

18

41

Bonos, Charles, Jr., 1941 

18

42

Bowers, Holly E., 1971-1974 

18

43

Bowman, Martin, 1971-1973 

18

44

Bradley, Leland, 1971-1976 

18

45

Brand, Robert J., 1967-1973 

18

46

Brea, Ernst Th., 1955-1963 

18

47

Broady, Robert A., 1928-1932 

18

48

Brous, Miriam, 1929-1932 

18

49

Brownell, Donald H., 1928-1949 

18

50

Care, Harold C. 

18

51

Carpenter, Jerry E. 

18

52

Carter, Christina B. 

18

53

Chawla, Devendra 

18

54

Cherry, Ellis R. 

18

55

Cho, Sung Moon 

18

56

Christman, Webster M. 

18

57

Coates, Marilyn 

18

58

Coles, Walter 

18

59

Comenos, Charles 

18

60

Commodore, Wilbur 

18

61

Conlon, Elizabeth K. 

18

62

Cook, Elliott R. 

18

63

Cox, Bernard G. 

18

64

Crandall, Horace E. 

18

65

Day, Richard C. 

18

66

Derbiguy, Kenneth 

18

67

Detwiler, Richard I. 

18

68

Doerr, Thomas 

18

69

Donovan, Robert S. 

18

70

Eadeh, Najib P. 

18

71

Eberhard, John O. 

18

72

Echols, Ralphel N. 

18

73

Elia, Louis J. 

18

74

Evans, Theodore A. 

18

75

Ewer, Kendall S. 

18

76

Falua, Olu 

18

77

Farinre, Timothy 

18

78

Fast, Robert 

18

79

Featherstone, Joseph 

18

80

Finnerty, Daniel 

18

81

Fish, James T. 

18

82

Fleming, Everett 

18

83

Fossey, Ralph 

18

84

Frick, Susan K. 

18

85

Fried, Robert 

18

86

Garces, Jainie H. 

18

87

Garrett, Norman F. 

18

88

Gaskins, Oscar 

18

89

George, Toye 

18

90

George, William E., Jr. 

18

91

Geyenes, Joseph 

18

92

Gilata, Hezekiah 

18

93

Gisinger, Robert 

18

94

Gloria, J. Nelson 

18

95

Godsall, Robert 

18

96

Godwin, James L. 

18

97

Goldberg, Thomas S. 

18

98

Gonzalez, Nicholas 

18

99

Graham, Jean 

18

100

Grant, Barbara 

18

101

Green, Daniel D. 

18

102

Greenwell, Joseph L. 

18

103

Gulati, Jagdish 

18

104

Hacker, Thomas 

18

105

Hah, Byungkuk 

18

106

Hanby, Samuel C. 

18

107

Hansen, RIchard L. 

18

108

Hartnett, Michael 

18

109

Hawkes, Gwendolyn 

18

110

Hay, Kenneth 

18

111

Hebb, Chester D. 

18

112

Hecht, J. Robert 

18

113

Hermann, Felice 

18

114

Herron, John P. 

18

115

Hicks, Gary G. 

18

116

Ho, Jack, W. 

18

117

Hoffman, Eugene J. 

18

118

Hogne, John T. 

18

119

Holmes, Susan R. 

18

120

Hong, Soon Kwan 

18

121

Houghton, Florence 

18

122

Hurdelin-Steinberg, Patrick 

18

123

Hyde, Emanuel 

18

124

Ihekononye, Alfred 

18

125

Isang, Efiong T. 

18

126

Ivey, Betsy Smith 

18

127

Jackson, Philip 

18

128

Jacobs, Eric D. 

18

129

Jafri, Anwar 

18

130

Jeffers, Juanita Y. 

18

131

John, K.C. 

18

132

Johnson, Emory L. 

18

133

Johnson, Kevin L. 

18

134

Jones, James Touchstone 

18

135

Jones, Sherry A. 

18

136

Kain, Margaret N. 

18

137

Kallon, Maigore 

18

138

Kapur, Anil 

18

139

Kehoe, Thomas J. 

18

140

Kim, Kwan Ho 

18

141

Kim, Tai-soon 

18

142

Kindsvater, Victor 

18

143

Kline, Carol L. 

18

144

Koehler, Harry 

18

145

Koh, Hoon 

18

146

Krechtiuk, Victoria 

18

147

Kunchandy, John 

18

148

Lafferty, Richard 

18

149

Law, Georgia 

18

150

Layne, Patricia 

18

151

Leach, Barton B. 

18

152

Lee, Won Kyoun 

18

153

Lewis, Maxwell 

18

154

Liddle, Thomas James 

18

155

Lukomski, Bogdan 

18

156

Luther, John K. 

18

157

MacAnally, Helen 

18

158

MacCalmont, Robert W. 

18

159

MacFarland, William P. 

18

160

MacGhee, David F. 

18

161

Maddock, Kevin 

18

162

Mammen, P. M. 

18

163

Mammen, Thampy 

18

164

Mansfield, Elizabeth 

18

165

Marjel, Joshua 

18

166

Mason, John 

18

167

Mauger, Evelyn 

18

168

Maynard, Donald D. 

18

169

Mbonu, Jonathan 

18

170

Mbugua, Samuel 

18

171

McCarthy, Mary 

18

172

McConnell, James 

18

173

McKinney, Ricky 

18

174

Michigami, Michael 

18

175

Miguel, Sergio 

18

176

Miller, R. Bretney 

18

177

Mita, Shefki 

18

178

Moore, Margaret 

18

179

Moses, Rajan T. 

18

180

Murphy, Robert 

18

181

Murray, Thelma A. 

18

182

Ndiege, Peter 

18

183

Neff, Howard J. 

18

184

Nelson, Charles R. 

18

185

Newton, Jeannette 

18

186

Nicolov, Nicolas M. 

18

187

Nitschke, Glenn E. 

18

188

Obong, Sundayt 

18

189

O’Connor, Finbar 

18

190

Oglesby, Samuel 

18

191

Oh, Harry 

18

192

Ornston, Leonora 

18

193

Ostermayer, A. Earl 

18

194

Ott, Helene Kasewurm 

18

195

Pak, Kun 

18

196

Pak, Sun Kyung 

18

197

Pangburn, Newell S. 

18

198

Park, O’Hyun 

18

199

Parks, C. James 

18

200

Peterson, Elizabeth D. 

18

201

Paul, Elizabeth Miller 

18

202

Payne, Ronald M. 

18

203

Peaden, Thomas B. 

18

204

Perrine, James 

18

205

Peters, William Dean 

18

206

Poisel, Eleanor J. 

18

207

Potts, Henry C. 

18

208

Powers, Frederick F. 

18

209

Prasad, Sankarshan 

18

210

Pray, Kenneth L. 

18

211

Pullen, Alanson 

18

212

Quigley, Eileen Abigail 

19

1

Rapking, Christine Noel 

19

2

Raudenbush, Paul E. 

19

3

Rex, Richard O. 

19

4

Rezendes, Dennis 

19

5

Roach, Oswald 

19

6

Roberts, Gillan M.L. 

19

7

Robinson, Bernard E. 

19

8

Rodwquez, Jose Santos 

19

9

Royal, George C. 

19

10

Rose, Antoinette C. 

19

11

Rosenblatt, Joan 

19

12

Rummell, Melissa 

19

13

Rundall, Maud S. 

19

14

Salisbury, John L. 

19

15

Scalera, Paul S. 

19

16

Schleifer, Marc 

19

17

Schmidt, Randall W. 

19

18

Sewell, Ronald 

19

19

Shadel, Marvin 

19

20

Shapiro, Joshua E. 

19

21

Sholander, Diane 

19

22

Shropshire, Sherman 

19

23

Sie, Kok Hiang 

19

24

Siegchrist, Mark 

19

25

Simmons, Charles S. 

19

26

Simons, Linda 

19

27

Singser, Armist L. 

19

28

Smith, Galencia L. 

19

29

Smith, Gerald 

19

30

Smith, Reed 

19

31

Smith, Ronald F. 

19

32

Soules, Terrill 

19

33

Spittle, John J. 

19

34

Sridharan, S. 

19

35

Stewart, David 

19

36

Stiff, Edward 

19

37

Stine, James 

19

38

Stokes, Mary Jane 

19

39

Stones, Johnnie Lee 

19

40

Stringer, William T. 

19

41

Thomas, Charles J. 

19

42

Thorn, John T. 

19

43

Thorn, Steven 

19

44

Thorpe, George L. 

19

45

Toomet, Ella 

19

46

Trammill, Mae A. 

19

47

Trewergy, William 

19

48

Turns, Larry E. 

19

49

Tyler, Frances 

19

50

Umbarger, Harold N. 

19

51

Urban, Charles H. 

19

52

Varki, C. Paul 

19

53

Vigners, Richard T. 

19

54

Vincent, Anthony 

19

55

Wabara, Mark O. 

19

56

Waiguchu, Julius 

19

57

Wallace, George 

19

58

Warner, Jerold B. 

19

59

Werner, Carl A. 

19

60

Wert, Richard 

19

61

Why, Harry 

19

62

Williams, Babatunda 

19

63

Williams, Gerald E. 

19

64

Williams, Michael A. 

19

65

Willis, Irving E. 

19

66

Wilmot, Ebenezer 

19

67

Woodward, Marie 

19

68

Witherspoon, Joan 

19

69

Yanko, Helen M. 

19

70

Zwier, Semen 

19

71

Student Volunteer Center 

University Camps and social service 

University Camps 

University Camps for Boys 

University Camps for Girls 

University Settlements 

Wilma project 

Women’s Advisory Committee 

Women’s Cultural Trust 

 

FINANCIAL RECORDS, 1893-1990 

Box

Folder

Audit report 

Balance sheets 

Budgets 

Easement 

Financial Statement (Treasurer’s report) 

Financial Statement (Treasurer’s report), monthly 

Florence Murray Foundation, 1988 

23

2

Funds–donations 

Bringhurst, Ella C., Fund, 1938-1967 

23

4

Bringhurst, Ella C., Fund, 1968 

23

5

Buzby, G. Harold, Trust 

23

6

Cooper, Walter I., Trust, 1972 

23

15

Deming student loan fund, 1964-1965 

23

16

De Victor, William Knight, Fund, 1926 

23

17

Pancoast Estate, 1951-1962 

23

24

Patterson, S. Howard, Estate, 1976 

23

25

Pilling, William S., Trust, 1952 

23

26

Sharpe Estate, will, 1957 

23

27

Sharpe Estate, executor’s account, 1979 

23

28

Sharpe Estate, legal counseling, 1977-1979 

23

29

Wright, Mary Guard, fund, 1962-1973 

23

31

Fund raising 

General purpose program 

Insurance 

Life, Helen E. Kasewurm, 1981 

23

52

Investment 

Investment-brokers 

Ledger books 

General 

Expense book 

Journal 

Contributions 

Salary and payroll 

Boys/girls camp 

Foreign Division work 

University House 

Petty cash 

Cash book 

Ledger cards 

Ledger–disbursement 

Ledger–pads 

Payroll and salary 

Taxes 

United Church campaign, Master List 

United Fund 

University Camp for Boys 

Monthly reports and budget 

 

AFFILIATED DENOMINATIONAL GROUPS, 1912-1988 

Box

Folder

Asbury/Methodist Church 

Drexel Asbury Ministry 

Episcopal Church, diocese of Pa 

Methodist Episcopal Church 

Minister G. Guy Cutshall’s files 

Correspondence, 1921-1922 

St. Mary’s church 

St. Mary’s church–Hamilton Village Council 

St. Mary’s church–John Scott 

Tabernacle church 

University Lutheran 

Wesley Foundation 

Bord, William, 1929 

28

64

Brettle, Howard, correspondence 

Dillon, Thomas E., 1957 

28

68

Godfrey, George C., 1957 

28

69

Griffiths, Gordon P., 1955-1957 

28

70

Hansell, William, 1952-1955 

28

71

Kimble, Lila Mae, 1957 

28

72

Leary, Charles, 1954-1957 

28

73

McNair, Barak, 1955-1956 

28

74

Miller, Wayne, 1954-1955 

28

75

Morris, Alfred E., 1955-1956 

28

76

Shockley, Olin J. 

28

77

Sullivan, William 

28

78

Sweigart, John W., Jr. 

28

79

Weldie, Hope 

28

81

Wilson, Charles S. 

28

82

Wreck, Walter, Jr. 

28

83

Correspondence 

Foster, Lloyd E. correspondence (1924-1925) 

Foster, Lloyd E. correspondence 1925-1926 

Foster, Lloyd E. correspondence (1927) 

Westminster Foundation 

 

OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, 1952-1990 

Box

Folder

National Campus Ministry Association 

Pennsylvania Campus Ministry Association 

Pennsylvania Commission for United Ministries in Higher Education 

Annual report 

Correspondence 

Executive committee 

Meeting file 

Minutes 

Program and project descriptions 

Treasurer’s report and budget 

Student Christian Movement in Pennsylvania 

Taize 

Newsletter 

Washington pilgrimage 

Temple University 

United Methodist Church 

United Ministries in Education 

United Ministries in Higher Education 

United Way 

University of Pennsylvania 

Women for Equal Opportunity at the University of Pennsylvania (WEOUP) 

Carol Tracy vs. Penn, litigation, 1971 

32

59

Reference file 

World’s Student Christian Federation 

Young Christians for Global Justice 

 

SCRAPBOOKS, CARDS, and PHOTOGRAPHS, 1901-1989 

Box

Folder

Scrapbook 

Cards 

Contributor data 

Group Pictures 

Individual Pictures 

Building Pictures 

 

MEMORABILIA 

Box

Folder

 

2001 ACCESSION 

Box

Folder

Administrative general file 

Articles, speeches, sermons by Beverly Dale 

Bail fund for Chris Clemente, 1990 

37

54

Board and Committees 

Board and Executive Committee 

Board meeting 

Board retreat 

Budget 

Building cost and furnishing records, 1927-1928 

Canton Christian College file 

Corporation for Christian Work in Educational Institutions 

Correspondence 

Development Committee 

Endowment, financial 

Episcopal Church 

Clergy and Laity Concerned about Viet Nam 

Finance Committee 

Financial 

John P. Cobb, correspondence, 1997 

40

9

Lease of Donald Ford, 1995-1997 

40

11

Outstanding matter with Ira Peck, 1995-1997 

40

16

Flyers and posters 

Franklin Companies 

Frazier, Benj. West (Treasurer and Chairman of the Board of Directors) 

Friday Architects/Planners 

Gold Standard Bankruptcy case 

Pre-Bankruptcy, Committee records (Executive, Gold Standard Committee and Finance) 

Restaurant Search 

Grant Fox, new contract letter, 1981 

41

6

Income Statement and Balance Sheet 

Ira Pack, annual evaluation, 1987 

41

18

Leases, Rentals, and use of the building space and facilities 

Rentals and Christian Association’s schedule for the use of building space 

Multimate 

New Building Fund Campaign 

Panel discussion, “Perspectives of Gay, Lesbians, and Bisexuals” 

Pennsylvania Commission for United Ministries in Higher Education 

Pennsylvania Humanities Council 

“Role of Religion” project 

Personnel Committee 

Personnel files 

Staff Meeting 

UMHE (United Ministries in Higher Education)